Bring a backpack – Make sure you have things ready to go. Some things you may want to bring are:
- Any documents that may point out property details
- Notepad – to keep track of details, questions, areas of interest, list of improvements
- Camera – A picture says a thousand words. Photograph everything.
- Previous inspection summaries or repaired items/home modifications
- Real Estate Agent
- Cellphone and Charger
- Good Flashlight, Headlamp, Both
How much time will it take?
- Most home inspections fall withing 3-4 hours but can take longer with ancillary inspection items.
- The time you actually spend on the property is up to you. I would recommend joining your inspector throughout most of the inspection.
Are there areas of the home that you have questions about?
- Write them down before the inspection and let your inspector know ahead of time.
- Is there an HOA or other association that the house is part of.
Top 10 things to look for:
Property Drainage and Landscaping
Roof and Roof Drainage
Balconies | Porches | Decks